Friday, September 12, 2008

Water, water, everywhere!

Okay, do I have a story for you!

But, before I do let me just say, when you are forced to use your split-action reflexes, then you can really find humor in this anecdote.

Yesterday, after I got home from work, Laura and I were standing in the kitchen recounting the details of our ever-so hectic days at work. We were having the usual “how was your day honey?” talk.

We fixed a couple of turkey sandwiches and sat at our bar counter to enjoy what dinner we had before Jenn, Laura’s sister, came by to pick her up for the impending PTA meeting.

“Today was really busy and can you believe I have to go back for a PTA meeting?” Laura expressed so joyfully.

“Well, my day was crazy too, and just think, all I was looking forward to was coming home, watching TMZ and being lazy with you on the couch.” I said while standing in front of the sink.

“Oh and don’t forget that we need to take out the trash,” Laura said.

“Oh yah, or our house will end up smelling really bad when we get back.”

Laura and I had planned on going out-of-town, for the weekend, to the mountains, in North Carolina, with her parents, sister’s and brother-in-law.

I remembered, “hey, have you emptied the coffee yet?”

“No,” Laura answered so gracefully while putting down her sandwich.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“I can’t eat this,” she said while putting her hand over her mouth, now full of what seemed turkey sandwich. “Baby Skates doesn’t seem to like it.”

I proceeded to go over to our new coffee marker, which we had gotten as a wedding gift, and emptied the old coffee and coffee grounds. I love the smell of coffee, but to think we would get back and in from a weekend and find it was producing new life from mold spores I thought to preserve my love for coffee it might be best to throw it out.

I started to empty it in the sink and pour out the old coffee.

“So, have you finished packing yet?” asked Laura while she watched me smell the nasty old coffee grounds.

“No,” I said while turning on the facet and washing the sink out. “I was gonna do thaAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!” A cold blast of water came shooting at my shoulder soaking my gray polo shirt and splattering not just all over my face, but shot clear across the kitchen straight into our den.

My first thought was stop the water from going in my face. I reached out my hand to stop the flow of evil, cold water, but it just squirted it in a different direction.

Why wasn't it stopping it?! Duhhh...

Thankfully it hit the pilar that stands in the middle of room that separates the kitchen and den.

Water was everywhere… all over the kitchen floor, the hardwood floor in the den was thoroughly soaked, the couch, end table, pictures, books, coasters, almost nothing escaped the streaming water flow from our angry sink which did not seem to like being separated from it’s facet counter-part.

Thank the Lord Logan and Andy were out side, or they would have freaked out! Andy would of probably ran in terror!

My instinct was to block the flow with my hand, but immediately remembered Laura telling me how this happened to her when I wasn’t home and she did the same thing before thinking, “turn off the facet!” Brilliant woman!

Thanks to my wife, and my Spider-man like reflexes, I pulled the lever to turn off the water and started the clean-up process.

“Laura, can you run and get me the swiffer?” I asked, ever-so calmly.

I was standing in the middle of the kitchen, stunned. What just happened?!?!?!

I have never felt so stupid in my life, but if it had never happened I would not have had this wonderful story to tell you.

So, moral of story, when water starts coming out of your sink at alarming rates, your hand is not a sufficient enough block.

TURN OFF THE WATER!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOLY CRAP! That's something you see in a movie!! Really??!! I'm speechless right now!

Anonymous said...

That had to be a kodak moment - were you, by chance, seeing the back side of water like on the Jungle Cruise? ;) Seriously - I woulda paid to watch THAT movie!!! LOL! Laura truly is brilliant! As the saying goes - behind every good man is a better woman - or something like that. ;) Billie