Friday, October 24, 2008

Email and nicknames...

With our 20 week ultrasound right on the horizon, of two weeks from now, my mind has been toying with many different things.... (My undiagnosed Adult ADD has severely kicked itself into high gear!) One thing I have been contemplating is… when the baby is born, should we register him or her for their own email address? How fun would it be to say our kid actually had their email since birth!? I know, a little crazy, but just think about it! I’m sure there are geekier people out there than I am who have done this. Or am I just eccentric that way?

Another thing, nick names? If we are having a boy we have decided to call him Mauldin. Mauldin James Skates. So, this is the issue, my nick name for my wife is Mauldin, due to this being her maiden name. There are times when I only can get her to answer to this name, especially when we are out in public.

“Laura? Laura? LAURA?” I say in a determined voice. Still there is no response,

“Mauldin!”

“Yes?” says Laura, as if this is the first time she has heard me trying to get her attention, in Target.

This is my query, my quandary, my dilemma, my question…

If our child ends up being a boy, despite the poll to the right of you located on my blog, what if we called him “M.J?” I know, how Spider-man of us, but it wouldn’t be for “Mary Jane Watson,” but instead for “Mauldin James!” Kinda cool! If you ask me. My wife, Laura, and I had thought about this waaaaay back when we were first dicussing names, but it kind of got lost in the shuffle! So, I thought we’d re-open the floor to see if it would be a determent to our child’s well-being…

With that being said, all this will be null and void if in two weeks we find out we are having a girl. If this is so, this will be open for discussion at a later time, for the next child.

Still, in the meantime, let us know your thoughts and opinions! Thanks!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a tough one. I don't know about MJ, I'll just call you Peter Parker or something ;-)

Amy said...

OK, if you call your son 'MJ', I can promise you that Drew will be asking you why his cousin is named after Spiderman's girlfriend.

Anonymous said...

Ok - for those of us who have watched Spiderman movies but not gotten that involved with them - I had no clue that calling your baby boy MJ was going to cause such a ruckus. MJ, to me, would just be short for "Mauldin James". Perhaps Laura will just need to listen better and answer to Laura from then on. LOL! She may answer better to Mommy from that time forward. I know Melissa had a problem with what to nickname her Owen James.....I suggested OJ - she won't allow that for obvious reasons (has nothing to do with orange juice either) and his initials are OP so I suggested nicknaming him OP, she won't allow that because of Opie (a little Ron Howard) on the Andy Griffith show (of which I love Opie on there!) So we just ended up calling him Owen or sometimes we call him Oweie or is that Owy or Owey or maybe Owee? Anyways - MJ is fine to me - I never would have made any sort of Spiderman connection. Just so the little fella knows his real name and doesn't get into kindergarten and tries to tell the teacher his real name is MJ and not Mauldin. That's what happened to my cousin's little girl - they named her Michelle but called her Missy "always". When she got into school the teacher called her Michelle and she proceeded to tell the teacher her name was Missy, not Michelle.

I think I strayed a bit away from the subject here........I say call him Mauldin and not worry about it. It'll all work itself out.

Anonymous said...

By the way, your blog is looking super fantastic! I'm liking the "ipood" and the cool graphics- very professional ;-)

The Suttons said...

MJ makes me think of Michael Jackson not Mary Jane.
-Carrie Foley